Teen drivers are four times more likely to be involved in an accident than more experienced drivers. No wonder teen driver insurance is so darn expensive. But this is understandable. We all made mistakes when we first got behind the wheel. Some of these accidents can be prevented by simply knowing the most common mistakes that have led to teen accidents. Here are some of the most common mistakes teens make behind the wheel.
- Distracted driving…talking on a cell phone, texting, and changing CDs are common sources of distraction.
- Risk taking…changing lanes without looking and ignoring traffic signals are common issues.
- Too many teens in a car…this can cause aggressive driving to show off for friends or increase the amount of distractions in the car.
- Impaired driving…drugs or alcohol.
- Tailgating…not for a sporting event, but riding on the bumper of the car ahead.
- Not using seat belts.
- Driving while tired.
- Failing to maintain their vehicle.
Your teen will often emulate your driving habits. If you can recognize yourself in any of these common mistakes, you may want to reevaluate your own driving habits in order to keep your child safe.